Saturday, October 27, 2012

Amy Goodman - Everyone should know her name

She's an investigative reporter. She asks the most vital questions. Most of the time she's on the frontline with soldiers, behind the fences with protesters, or traveling the country during the presidential election making sure the truth is exposed. She has been beaten, pushed, handcuffed, and arrested just for trying to do her duty to serve the people. There is a reason this woman has won countless awards for journalism, independent media, and social justice, and I recommend you look into her work and her mission.

Amy Goodman, 2008
I hadn't known much about Amy before last year. During my last year at SCSU as National Events Coordinator for UPB, Zach had brought up her name in a meeting where we were planning the Fall 2012 speakers. After group consensus, we started planning to bring Amy Goodman to St. Cloud State in October of 2012. The coordinator who succeeded my position took over the planning process when I graduated and moved to Seattle. Well, it all came together, and it really happened!  Amy spoke at SCSU in front of a crowd of over 400 just last week. It broke my heart not to be in charge of the event, and not being able to see her at my alma mater, but I am delighted that someone like her was able to come speak to my old school. I think SCSU has a lot of strides to make in a lot of different areas, and her influence could be just what some students need.

So, naturally, when Zach found out she would be speaking at a venue just 2 blocks from our studio in Seattle on Friday, we had to buy tickets.  She is in the middle of a 100 city tour with a group of people from Democracy Now! in order to cover the election from an independent media standpoint. They hit all the swing states and their talks emphasized keeping the election fair and debunking mainstream media lies.

It was an incredible honor to hear Amy Goodman speak at Town Hall in Seattle. I learned things I never understood before, and I heard stories that will stick with me for the rest of my life. I wish I could recount every eloquent word that escaped her mouth, but I just would not be able to do her intelligence justice. Go to YouTube right now and watch everything you can about her and what she does.

Zach had to run home so he could work after her talk, but I decided to stay so I could chat with her. I ended up buying her latest book so that she could sign it.


I couldn't believe how "star struck" I became when I got the chance to speak with her, but I'm so glad I did! Amy Goodman will forever be a woman I look up to and will always strive to be like. I told her how Zach and I were responsible for initiating her visit to St. Cloud, MN and her and Dennis said "oh yes! We loved being at Ritsche!"


I'm nowhere near her caliber, but I hope one day I can be as positively impactful on people as she has been on me.

With that, I must go and enjoy my Saturday night with Zach since I've been doing homework all day and I will do homework all day tomorrow.

Side note: It goes unsaid that I'm 'busy' these days. Apologies to all those who are waiting on snail mail from me! I'm working on making more time!

No comments:

Post a Comment