Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Technology

I recently found out my Spanish major advisor doesn't have a cellphone and doesn't have Facebook. After she saw my astonished face when she shared this news, she explained how weird it is how reachable and public people's lives have become.

I realize this is the case, and it is a little scary. I've been transitioning from having mostly private profiles to  public profiles (like my new Twitter) mostly because I want to put my name out there professionally and have employers be able to find me and see what I'm about. I don't have anything to hide, and I'm proud of what I've accomplished. I don't want to hide that from someone who might hire me! Plus, I like to consider myself a social butterfly, and what better way to make friends than to put myself out there?

Though I'm sure I could live without a cellphone and without Facebook, the convenience is too great to give up, these days. Some people say Facebook is creepy and impersonal, but I disagree. Facebook is an easy way I have been able to keep up with those I care about. When I have free time at 2am, I cannot call my aunts and friends from back home, but I can send them a message or write on their wall. When it comes to phones, I like being available and reachable. I like that I can use my phone to look up a clinic number, call them to make an appointment, and arrive hours later, all in the same day. Some can argue that text messaging is impersonal as well, and I can agree that it's a cop out to actually making a phone call, but it's also incredibly convenient. I'm constantly answering quick questions, that would be a waste of a phone call, via text.  Not to mention, most plans have unlimited text messaging, but not unlimited hours to talk. As a financially struggling college student, yes I'm going to go the cheaper route. One thing I'd like to work on is texting less while in conversation. I want to be able to put my phone away whenever I'm spending time with someone in person, so that they feel more respected, and I'm more engaged in our reunion.

Why have we invented these technologies if we're not going to utilize them? As I mentioned, I completely understand the ideas behind those who are anti-cellphone and anti-Facebook, but I personally will happily utilize what is free and in front of me. I'm excited to be a part of this generation and being able to watch technology develop exponentially. What will they come up with next?

Question: What is your favorite or most utilized piece of technology? Anything goes: iPod, phone, computer, tablet, videogame, TV, et cetera.

1 comment: