Sunday, November 6, 2011

St. Cloud, MN's first LGBT Bar

Biology 701 had a grand opening last night and boy, was it grand.

Before we even walked into the place, I knew it was unique; incredibly different from all of the other bars/hangouts in downtown St. Cloud. From a block away I heard the music and saw the crowd of people surrounding the entrance. It was a different type of crowd than the ones you see outside the popular bars in town, such as The Press or Red Carpet. Its hard to describe, but I sure liked it. The moment I walked through the doors I felt comfortable.

The atmosphere was fresh, open, and accepting. It wasn't dark and dank like some of the older bars, it wasn't crowded with pure muscly rednecks or wannabe gangsters and blonde skanks.  The variety of people there is what struck me hardest. Gay, straight, young, old, drunk, sober; everyone seemed to be there.

I was hit on by guys and girls, had my ego boosted, danced my ass off with my friends, watched my friends have a damn good time, and everything felt normal.

It is definitely my new favorite place. Especially after Zach and I had a dinner date there and tried their vegan cuisine.  We had the hummus and pita bread for an appetizer and then split the fresh veggie pesto pizza with vegan daiya cheese. Yum! It was splendid to have some quality time with him after he and I had a rough week.

Its about time St. Cloud opened an LGBT friendly bar.  The LGBT community is significant in size for this area and even those who don't identify as LGBT needed a place as accepting as Biology 701.  So far the food an drink menus are small, but I intend to support it to my hearts content as it grows, and I'm quite excited to watch it do so. The wait staff and bartenders are very friendly and were constantly asking for advice and suggestions throughout the night. I would imagine the deejay will get annoyed being so close and exposed to the dancing crowd, but maybe that will change eventually as well. I could tell he didn't like people putting empty drinks on his table, for sure.

Even in its up-an-coming stage, I'm already giving it 5 stars. I hope everyone gets the chance to see this place.

1 comment:

  1. Very cool. Maybe I'll have to check it out sometime...even though bars/clubs really aren't my thing.

    ReplyDelete