Sunday, July 8, 2012

Catie does DIY!

I was Stumbling my life away this beautiful Sunday morning instead of being outside on this day of perfect weather when I came across a Do-It-Yourself blog post to make a braided top similar to this one offered at Banana Republic.


Whenever Catie comes across a cute and easy DIY project, she usually can't resist. I don't know if anyone has noticed, but every few months this will happen to me where I suddenly go from surfing the Internet to cutting up t-shirts and usually the project ends up looking sloppy because I'm just so excited to finish and wear it.

One time I cut up a t-shirt I bought in Perú and made myself wear it for at least a day. I never wore the shirt before because it fit me so awkwardly, and I told myself that if I cut it up and made myself wear it once, it's better than sitting in my closet for the rest of forever...
May 13th, 2011. The last time I cut up a t-shirt, not including the one I cut the sleeves off of to wear to the gym.

So anyway, I've held onto a few of Zach's t-shirts that he was going to get rid of over the past few years, and today I decided to cut one up and make it look just as perfect as the braided shirt picture above.

I started by cutting off some of the neck. Looking back I wish I had made it lower, or maybe into more of a v-neck shape (I live in hipster-city these days, why shouldn't I have some v-necks?).
cool shirt, right?!
Then, following the instructions from the original blog post I stumbled upon, I cut some slits near the collar.
Maybe I should have washed it first.
Then it was time to do the "braiding." The braiding was more like looping you did when you were younger to make other DIY things I can't remember right now.

close up of the braided collar

it changed the shape of the shirt, that's for sure. I had to use some safety pins to secure both ends of the braid, later I'm going to purchase some black thread so I can sew it and it doesn't look like I'm a desperate 12 year old goth with safety pins in my clothing to make me look tough.

I hate t-shirt sleeves. They're at an awkward length for my arms. I had to figure out something to do to these sleeves. I started by cutting off the hem.
Then I followed a different t-shirt modification tutorial and cut a slit down the sleeve following the seam from the shoulders, then tied the end.

Now it looks like this:
I really hate those safety pins. I need some thread asap.
So later I asked this anonymous girl to model the shirt for me. This is how it looks on someone:



VOILA!
Since I didn't modify how the shirt fit around the chest and stomach, it's a little baggy/frumpy, but I will save that project for another day.
It was kinda fun. I've always wanted to modify my t-shirts. I wish I didn't have to get rid of so many before we moved to Seattle, because I would have SO MANY to chose from now if I didn't! I'm thinking when I have a steady income I'll start picking up some t-shirts from thrift stores, where I primarily do my clothes shopping in the first place.

I know!
I'm going to put out an ad on Craigslist to see if anyone has lots of t-shirts to get rid of. It's perfect! I can help someone else get rid of stuff they don't need, and I won't be upset if I mess up modifying a shirt because it wasn't one I paid for or care much about! I hope I get some responses.

Today Zach and I are going to stop by the farmer's market they have in Capitol Hill. I'm excited to see what they'll have. Then we're going to check out the Urban Craft Uprising event going on at the Seattle Center's Exhibition center. We've been so grateful the weather has been beautiful; even spent most of yesterday outside, exploring! Seattle summers are jus too perfect: no humidity, no scorching heat, just beauty.

3 comments:

  1. That's a really awesome tutorial. I have so many boring t-shirts, maybe I should do something like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always been picky when it comes to t-shirt modifications so I'm glad I found another one I like! Yeah, try it out and post some pics! I might do that braiding method down the sides of this shirt to make it more form fitting.

      Delete