Friday, July 6, 2012

Very Good Things

I had been talking to my friend Ish over the past week because he told me he sent a package to Seattle and wanted to make sure we got it. Yesterday he texts me saying the package should arrive that day. I checked the mail around noon and nothing was in yet. Later in the afternoon he calls me and says "I just got a call confirming that your package has been delivered!" On my way downstairs, assuming he really wants me to grab the package and call him back to tell him what I think, I notice a group of people standing outside the main entrance. After the realization clicked, I stopped dead in my tracks when I recognized that hair, that voice, that stance: SURPRISE! Ish was on my doorstep! He road tripped out here with two of his friends, all the way from Minnesota. 


As silly as I felt I couldn't help but cry when we greeted. He's the first person who has visited us out here in Seattle, and the first person to remind me that we aren't so alone. It feels so incredibly comforting to have someone from home out here with us because something in this giant, scary city is finally familiar to me.

Ish's surprise wasn't the only great thing that has happened to me lately. I had a phone interview and an in-person interview with one of the centers on campus regarding a graduate assistantship. The phone interview could have gone a lot better, but I believe the in-person interview went very well and I'm really hoping I get this position! It encompasses a lot of my passions for programming and international education. Cross your fingers for me! I have another interview next week for a position in a nearby community college, also.

In other news, I had my last day of summer class today: I'm officially done with my first graduate level course! I cannot wait to dive into my fall classes so I can learn about student development theory and foundations of student affairs. According to my classmates my fall schedule will be quite a full one, but I think I'm prepared for the challenge.

Establishing a new life in Seattle has been much harder for me than I expected. I say I like change, but it has never been an easy thing for me to deal with. Turns out being a shy extrovert in a city with a reputation called The Seattle Freeze puts me at a disadvantage for making friends as well. I know I just have to give it some more time. I know that when school and/or work start up it can only get easier.

Zach and I decided to start volunteering in order to spend our time more meaningfully while we're unemployed. Two weeks from now we're volunteering for a conference about social media and non profit organizations. I'm looking forward to it!

OH AND BEFORE I GO
I have to say how gosh darned happy I am that my friends Lars and Addi are getting married. I have so much respect for that gregarious, unforgettable man and I have no doubt he picked the affable goddess of gorgeousness for a wife. Those two apparently started some wedding planning today because this undeserving-flattered-grateful girl is going to be in Addi Always-Beautiful's wedding party. You two are peanut butter and jelly; everyone who looks at you must know you're perfect for each other. Lars, I'm so glad I met you a few years ago. I'm so happy to be taking part in this part of your life! 

No comments:

Post a Comment