Friday, August 24, 2012

I miss art class!

Back in July, Zach and I attended a craft fair at the Seattle Center and I purchased a sketchbook. It wasn't an ordinary sketchbook, as it is made partially out of an old book. The woman who creates these sketchbooks gets old books, from libraries and antique stores, and makes them into sketchbooks and notebooks. She uses the book cover as the sketchbook cover, and re-binds them with fresh, blank pages. She also keeps a few pages of the books and binds them in with the pages. I chose one that was formerly a sewing, knitting, and needlecraft instruction book.
This is what the front looks like.
See? The instruction section is still in my notebook, to the right is a page I wrote on.
Anyway, I've been carrying this book around with me a lot. I use it to write down ideas, prose, poetry, and sketches. I haven't done anything like this before, and honestly it is so refreshing. It's like art and creativity is back in my life again. I even set aside time to work in my book; drawing, writing, or whatever comes to mind. 

Here are a few things I've doodled over the past few weeks.

I told y'all I'm studying japanese, right? The kanji and hiragana numbers are on the upper left.

Cubone is sad.

Inspired by the fact that Zach and I have played A LOT of Mario games lately.

Studying japanese inspired this one.

Japanese will be a challenge for me. I might take a class next year.

I used to be so good at Calligraphy when I learned it in middle school art!

Emotions inspire art. What can I say.

Working on my thigh tattoo design.
I get really frustrated that my work isn't good and incomplete, and honestly my sketchbook has many more doodles, but they're just plain bad. But that's why I'm practicing, right?

I miss the days of middle school and high school art class! They were always my favorite classes. I was in Art Club too. I loved having access to unlimited mediums and art supplies. When I get some extra cash I want to buy some watercolor pencils to add color to some of my doodles. I recently bought some oil pastels, but I can't seem to really make anything great with them, yet.

It's unfortunate that as soon as classes start up, there is a good chance I'll be ignoring my sketchbook until next summer. Maybe I'll schedule some creative time to my Sundays and force myself to sit down with some paper and let the creativity flow. Regardless, I've been enjoying my freedom from the undergrad-ball-and-chain and using free time to draw, explore Seattle, and get in some quality Zach time. As soon as classes start though, I'll have to say "adiós, life!"

Yesterday I had such a fantastic time hiking in Discovery Park with some international students from SSCC. We spent almost 4 hours hiking around the park; we got to see the lighthouse at the point, picnic on the beach, and explore some gorgeous viewpoints. As soon as I returned home I told Zach I HAVE to take him there sometime. What a wonderful, outdoorsy getaway so close to the city!

Today wrapped up the end of my second week at the ISC. Boy, I am going to miss these Fukuoka University students when they leave! One of them added me on Facebook yesterday, and I'm delighted that they want to stay in touch. My goal is to also stay in touch with their Director and see if they'll need an intern someday. Who knows, maybe I'll have an internship in Japan within the next two years! In other ISC news, I'm helping plan and run their ambassador training next week. The ambassadors will be the ones who will help us out at New Student Orientation in September. Things are picking up and I'm getting more work; which is a good thing!

Which reminds me; TGIF! I can finally appreciate weekends again, now that I'm busier. Tomorrow I'm going to the Washington Department of Licensure to get my WA license. I wish I didn't have to forfeit my MN one, but apparently I have no choice. For the rest of the weekend I'll be catching up with Zach, catching up on sleep, and spending the last of my precious free time relaxed.

じゃまた。- Ja mata! - See you later!

No comments:

Post a Comment