Thursday, August 30, 2012

In my head

I've become inspired.
But for specifically what, I do not yet understand.
I find myself with more energy, drive, and focus, than ever before.
I devour my books, I walk with determination, and I fear not to open my mouth.

But where do I channel it?
Though I've been utilizing the sketchbook I bought, I haven't been very satisfied with the work I've put in it. I think some of the sketches are good, and maybe some of the writings, but I have the most trouble taking the sketches and writings and continuing to better them in order to actually turn them into a piece of completed work.

I feel lost, but I know I'm on a road to somewhere; I know I have a destination. Which reminds me of the common phrase "life is a journey, not a destination." What I mean to say, is I know I'm on a sound path to wherever life takes me; I just wish there were more signs and maps to help me out along the way.

This halfhazard, disorganized post is reflective of my life lately. Once again, I find myself busy and involved. I may only have two jobs, but there are a lot of elements to each one, plus I have much to prepare for the upcoming academic year (buying books, scheduling, GAship training, GAship readings, etc). At work and at home I become inspired about random things, and I constantly come home with lists of things to look up, lists of places I want to visit, lists of things to add to my bucket lists, or things to add to my list of aspirations. It's almost overwhelming to someone as disorganized as me.

Today I sat in a two hour presentation on the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) as part of the New Beginnings Program ambassador training that I was leading. The personality psychology nerd and student affairs aficionado in me were squealing with delight. I LOVE this personality instrument! I know someday I'll get certified to administrate the test; I just know it. James from Career Services at SU did an amazing job teaching the ambassadors what the instrument did and how it will help them as a leader.

In agreement with the last two times I took the MBTI, my result was ENFP, and so is about 8.1% of the population. I copied the description of ENFPs from a handout he gave us:

Warmly enthusiastic PLANNERS OF CHANGE; imaginative, individualistic; pursue inspiration with impulsive energy; seek to understand and inspire others. With Extraverted INTUITION as the strongest mental process, they are at their best when caught in the enthusiasm of a project, sparking others to see its benefits. They value:
  • The surge of inspirations; the pull of emerging possibilities
  • A life of variety, people, warm relationships
  • Following their insights wherever they lead
  • Finding meanings behind the facts
  • Creativity, originality, a fresh perspective
  • An optimistic, positive, enthusiastic view of life
  • Flexibility and openness 
  • Exploring, devising, and trying out new things
  • Open-ended opportunities and options
  • Freedom from the requirement of being practical
  • Learning through action, variety, and discovery
  • A belief that any obstacles can be overcome
  • A focus on people's potentials
  • Brainstorming to solve problems
  • Work made light and playful by inspiration

Every time I read up about the MBTI or when I attend a session on it like I did today, I find myself reflecting about what it means for me. I also tend to read the descriptions of the other 15 types and think about how I would interact with them. I'm sure for the rest of the night I'll be reading up about my strengths and weaknesses as an ENFP.

What is YOUR type? If you haven't taken the test before, you can follow this link to a fake test (http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/jtypes1.htm). However, it only has 72 questions. The official test has more questions, and that makes it more accurate. You can use this one online though, to get an idea of what your types are. 

I suppose I'll end this post here and get to work on something creative or productive. I have 5 chapters to read out of Heroic Leadership before my GAship training next Thursday and I should really get through at least a few things on my to-do list that's been growing ever since we moved to Seattle.

Sayonara! 

No comments:

Post a Comment