Sunday, August 19, 2012

Whirlwind

The past week has been crazy. Not as crazy as my last two semesters in undergrad (we all know THAT was crazy) but crazy in comparison to how sedentary life has been in the past two months. I know we've been exploring Seattle, volunteering, and partaking in some events, but nothing had real purpose for me. Not until I had a job in my field, I began working towards something, and time started to fly.

Monday, Wednesday, Thursday I spent at my GAship. Most of my tasks were being a helper/organizer when they went out on outings. A few times I briefly met my supervisor Ryan and he got me up to speed about the basics of the SU International Student Center. Other than that, I was out on the town with the Fukuoka group. I learned a lot and had great fun; I'm delighted to have an opportunity to improve my Japanese. Monday I showed them around Capitol Hill and ate dinner with them. I also got to know two undergraduate students who also work in the ISC On Wednesday I got to go to Bainbridge Island with them, to visit the Bainbridge Japanese History Museum; Friday I went to the Courthouse and Mayor's Office for Senior Services while they interviewed personnel for their research; today I went to a Mariner's game with them. How lucky am I!
Me, Nguyen, and Dom at the history museum
Tuesday and Thursday at SSCC I put in some hours planning for the upcoming events and working on Orientation stuff. Thursday the Level II IEP students threw a graduation party for the IEP Level V group; the students did an amazing job planning the event and impressed everyone there. I enjoyed the opportunity to get to know some of the international students better.

Saturday I took SSCC IP students to the Seattle Sounders VS the Vancouver Whitecaps game. At 11:30 we made our way down to Occidental park where before every game they host a rally for Sounders fans. People were chanting, singing along with Sound Wave, their pep band, and yelling fight songs as we marched to the stadium. The students loved it, I loved it, and I'm already so hooked on the Sounders that I've been looking up what Google claims are the best bars to go to to watch Sounders games. Also I've been trying to find jerseys online, though I definitely can't afford one right now (or for a while). My favorite chant was "Nobody likes us, and WE DON'T CARE!" Oh you pretentious Seattle hipsters :P You are something.



I haven't come home exhausted every day since May. Honestly, it's a nice change to be back in a busy schedule. I feel so great about getting a job and working toward something greater, but I can't help but feel awful for Zach. I mean, he's fine and happy for the most part, but I just want him to find whatever makes him happy. Be it going back to school, finding a specific job, or whatever. We're going to be fine with money, I just want both of us to settle in and get comfortable, mostly since I've dedicated the next two years of my life here. Another sad fact is that come September 19 when classes start up, I don't know when I'll ever see Zach. There are two days per week that I'll probably be gone for 14 hours minimum, and I know that any spare time will need to be spent studying.

I do have faith though. Things will work out. We're doing amazing so far. For two relatively independent young people across the country, we have a roof over our heads, a bed to sleep on, and food in the fridge. We must still be doing pretty damn well.

Last night I volunteered at Hempfest in Myrtle Edwards Park. I helped sell merch and gave directions to attendees. I was going to go back tonight and help again but I'm not feeling the greatest. I'm starting to think it's due to the whirlwind week I just endured. And I didn't even mention the emotional turmoil it took on me. Time to rest up.

With that, I bid you adieu; ja ma ta ne (see you later!)

Before I wrap this up, I must point out that Ratatat is an amazing band to listen to while I'm blogging. Maybe their beats coincide with the rhythm I type at... regardless, check them out. Very chill and enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment