Sunday, March 25, 2012

A trick to stay happy

As a young woman who frequently struggles with depression, I am constantly searching for ways to combat it. It's especially hard when I'm home alone; somehow my thought process becomes so dark and complex that I just don't know how to get out.

I've recently come up with a good trick to cheer me up, at least for a little while.
Have you ever thought about how fortunate you are?

I'm not talking about fiscal wealth; though, you'd be surprised that in comparison to other parts of the world, you are fiscally wealthy.
I'm talking about when all of your basic necessities are met and then some.

  • I have a roof over my head
  • I am not hungry
  • I have clean, running water
  • I have a husband and we are deeply in love
  • I'm in school, furthering my education and development
  • I have a job (actually, several of them)
  • I have some quality friends
  • I am able bodied
  • I own a computer
  • I have an awesome cat 

After I think about these things, and the various other things I am fortunate for, it's hard to be sad. I'm generally most successful in this trick when I share my fortune or thank someone who aids it.

Try it out sometime.
On Tumblr I follow a blog called delacroix; her real name is Kimber and she also curates the blog FYeahTattoos. I don't know her personally, but she has been very inspiring to me in many ways. Kimber sometimes posts lists she calls Very Good Things where she lists some of the very good things that have happend to her or things that make her happy. I have started doing this as well, but what I have to work on is making these lists not only when I'm happy. It's easy to make these lists when everything seems to be going right for you; we have to try them out when we're in all sorts of moods.

I challenge myself, and you, to more often think about the ways you are fortunate. I can almost guarantee it will make a difference. Here is an example of a Very Good Things list I made today:

  • I have a phone interview on Tuesday morning
  • I have a real shot at still getting in to grad school
  • I'm currently listening to Meat Loaf (heck yes!)
  • Graduation is coming up fast
  • I was told I'm getting a raise at Cenex soon
  • Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy is officially available for the season
  • I'm in love with my new piercing
  • Those moments when Odin cuddles between Zach and I in bed
  • The record high temperatures for my last spring in Minnesota
  • Being able to bike around town again
  • Having a lovely balcony to chill on
You get the idea :)

No comments:

Post a Comment