Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Job Search

is downright daunting.

Of course I'm looking at jobs that I'm qualified for, but I don't feel qualified for them. We all know I've spread myself thin, all over campus and all over town with my jobs/internships/responsibilities, but having ONE job to put all of my time/effort into? I can't imagine it yet. I've never worked somewhere "full time" (I put that in quotes because I've worked 30-40 hours a week somewhere before, but I was in high school/college, so it wasn't during the day nor my focus nor professional.)

I feel confident I can do these jobs, but I am unsure of how to express it in my cover letters and resumes. I honestly think it's going to take a lot of research and drafts to get it right. Thank goodness we have a Career Services office I can utilize! They really helped me with my resume and cover letter for grad school, so I'm sure they'll be helpful in my job search materials.

So far I've mostly looked at administrative positions in community colleges, mental health facilities, and a few in customer service. I haven't been limiting my search at all. In fact I have about 20 positions bookmarked in my browser, about 25-30 saved in higher education sites, and maybe 15 tabs open right now. And the best/worst part? Seattle Craigslist posts SO MANY jobs every single day that I am qualified for and could apply for. I really just have to sit down and DO it.

Before I dive into the job hunt/applications, I have a few midterms to finish up and papers/journals to do. It's so hard to concentrate on them, though, when I'd much rather have my future lined up and waiting for me. It's time for me to study counseling ethics and personality psychology now, adiĆ³s!

No comments:

Post a Comment